I absolutely had to post this animation by Gab Askew here just so I can remember it. Next time I'm feeling uninspired and blue I want to sink into this beautifully created world. Do yourself a favor and take a few moments to enjoy!
My head and heart are all a tangle these days as I'm filled with a yearning for the next step. A yearning to move on to the New and a practical need for more art space. This is manifesting itself into having to chose between two choices: Moving my studio to a separate studio space, or moving my home out of the co-op to somewhere with a bigger studio. This back and forth has filled me for weeks & weeks now. This weekend I was able to edge closer to the decision by having a series of kismet conversations with friends new & old. Like maybe how certain folks make appearances in your life right when you need them?
For instance I was able to meet and discuss art with the Bay Area artist Susanah Montana Murdoch. Susanah is a lovely soul and truly an inspiring painter. Her bit of advice about the whole thing was to make the push and ride the wave of art momentum when you have it.
I also had the joy and pleasure of spending a day road tripping to the Peninsula with my dearest old pal Katie Sandbom. That girl always has a way of asking the right questions. Not to mention there isn't anything quite like a road trip to help clear your head.
If anyone out there has any oracles up their sleeve I sure would love to see how this all turns out!
You may or may not have noticed (since it is summertime after all), but I've taken a wee bit of a break this past month. Here's the highlights of what I've been up to:
- I traveled to my favorite little spot of the Oregon coast to spend a week reading books, exploring tide pools, painting tide pools, taking naps, taking long walks & eating seafood.
- I saw the delightful movie UP in 3D
- I attended a huge family gathering in Yakima Valley to celebrate the 88th birthday of my dear ol' Grandma.
- Returning from the Valley with a large abundance of peaches I then spent multiple days experiencing "peach facials" with my friend Kirsten while jamming & canning. Can you say mmmm ginger peach marmalade??
- I began the hunt of seeking out more studio space by touring various houses, co-ops and lofts only to find myself unable to decide between a bigger home space or a separate studio space. The solution may be in the works... more to be divulged soon... mwah ha ha
- I worked my butt off for my day job. Somehow folks have decided to start buying condos again which has kept me busy busy.
- I had the pleasure of attending the open house of the new Seattle City Hostel here in Belltown. Each room was painted by local artists some of which were from my gallery. It was a crazy rad evening of local emerging artists. Lanae shot this amazing video of the evening:
- I attended and fell in love with Kate Protage's "XS" show. Returning a week later determined to buy this piece I learned a valuable lesson in art purchasing:
If you love it, buy it before someone else does.
- I attended the Union Celebration of two friends of Andy's which included a bbq, a bonfire, jello shots and the first camping we've done in far too long. Pure summer fun!
- I started work on a new series for the upcoming 5x5 show in December.
Whew! What a month! Gotta love that sweet sweet summertime.